Monday, October 18, 2010

Proverbs and an egg carton





Well, I hope no one was expecting the Sistine Chapel for as long as it took for me to complete this project. Still trying to figure out how to sync my new work schedule w/ my art schedule!

Pulp egg carton turned to stone!! In this piece it is supposed to be a stone tablet. The verse along the bottom of the frame is Proverbs 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart. This is one of my favorite verses in Proverbs. My piece is supposed to represent the table (or tablet) of my heart. My other two favorite passages of Proverbs are the verses that portray wisdom as a woman Proverbs 1:20 on the left and the last chapter about the virtuous wife Proverbs 31:10 on the right.

Oh and of course I had to glaze the whole thing w/ a layer of beeswax. I couldn't help myself.

I am imagining the possibilities...egg carton stone walled gardens, stone cottages, castles!!!! And NO painting required, the egg cartons are stone colored to begin with!

Maybe you weren't expecting the Sistine ceiling...maybe you were expecting to see one of those cute little caterpillars we made in kindergarten;) That was my first thought, but then I decided to work outside of the box...well carton...on this one.

How many egg cartons would it take to do a stone wall in my bedroom??

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Far better than a caterpillar, although I love the egg carton caterpillars. :-) The pulped egg carton does look like stone and makes a wonderful "heart tablet" for the Proverbs scripture. :-)

    ReplyDelete